Space heater deemed cause of overnight structure fire in Columbus
COLUMBUS, Neb. -- There were no injuries or casualties reported in an early morning structure fire in Columbus.
The Columbus Fire Department said they, along with other agencies, responded to an accidental structure fire Wednesday around 2:18 a.m.
CFD was dispatched for a reported structure fire in the 24000 block of Leland Drive.
According Columbus Fire Chief Ryan, dispatch indicated the house was on fire and flames were visible.
CFD requested mutual aid assistance from Platte Center and Monroe fire departments because of where they fire was and the lack of hydrants.
“When crews arrived on the scene, they found a split-level residence with smoke and fire coming from the second story,” Gray said. “Crews were able to gain entry and extinguish the fire quickly, limiting damage throughout the residence.”
It's reported that there were no injuries. American Red Cross was contacted to help the residents and their pets.
Gray said the fire was determined to be accidental in nature. It was reported to be cause by a space heater being too close to combustible materials.
“Platte Center, Monroe, and Columbus Rural fire departments provided a timely response with invaluable resources,” Gray said. “I am grateful for their assistance.”
As a reminder, Gray said everyone needs to remember to keep all sides of a heater at least 3 feet from beds, clothes, curtains, papers, sofas and other items that can catch fire.
“It is very important to be aware of where you place your space heaters. Please make sure to clear the area around your heaters to reduce the risk of a fire,” Gray said.