Murder victim had been denied protection order

PAWNEE CITY – A Pawnee City woman who is featured in the Celebrating Life’s Treasured Memories Community Funding website was denied a protection order in Pawnee County July 22, about a month before her death.
The family support page is seeking donations for Jaliyah Compton, who died in Falls City on Aug. 20. The support page says she is the victim of domestic violence and her three-year-old son is without parents.
Richardson County Attorney Samantha Scheitel identified the victim as 23-year-old Jaliyah Compton and the suspect as 27-year-old Adam Lewis, both of Pawnee City. The two shared a child together.
Scheitel said Compton had been staying with a friend in Falls City around the time of the shooting.
Scheitel believes Lewis shot and killed Compton inside a home in Falls City before he turned the gun on himself.
Compton had asked the court for a protection order on July 16 alleging that she and Lewis had broken up. She said when she told Lewis to log out of her social media accounts, he instead took her phone and attempted to change her passwords.
In her petition, she said Lewis was on top of her and when she swung her arm it hit him in the nose. Her petition claims Lewis noted his bloody nose and began to choke her.
Compton claims Lewis later explained that he had blacked out and lost control.
She told the court that on July 10, since her phone had been taken, she was attempting to use an iPad. She claims that Lewis did not approve and disconnected the Internet and blocked a doorway to prevent her from leaving out the front door.
Compton: “At one point, I attempted to escape which resulted in him rushing and slamming the door with my arm between. … I have bruises. I had to lie to him to gain access to the Internet to call my mom to come over.”
Lewis also petition the court for a protection order against Compton.
He alleges that his son consumed a marijuana edible while under Compton’s care and that a friend of Compton had smacked his son for not listening. He said he fears for his son’s safety.
A hearing was held July 21 in Pawnee County and the judge dismissed the protection orders on July 22.