Accidental Columbus fire reportedly caused by small child
COLUMBUS, Neb. -- A fire in Columbus was put out after a child reportedly started it by accident.
The Columbus Fire Department said they were dispatched to a home in the 2800 block of 20th St. around 1:00 p.m. on Saturday for a possible structure fire.
Officials said they saw smoke coming from all sides of the home and made entry soon after arriving. There was reportedly heavy smoke and moderate heat inside of the home.
According to authorities, the firefighters were able to contain the fire in the room of origin, the bedroom. They reportedly struggled with getting into the room due to the placement of a sofa that was near the hallway entry that led to the bedroom.
CFD said the fire was classified as accidental after a small child got a hold of a lighter. A cat was also reportedly rescued from the fire. All of the people in the home were able to escape and no injuries were reported.